Wednesday, March 18, 2009

All We Have to Offer is Jesus

Last Thursday I attended the Related Leaders Conference at Riverside Church in Peoria. http://www.riversidepeoria.com/calendar/related-leaders.asp The keynote speaker was author Leonard Sweet. http://www.leonardsweet.com/ He talked about the Gutenberg Church in a Google World. It really challenged me to think differently about how I put together lessons and prepare for sermons. The thought that has continued to stay with me is this, "all we have to offer is Jesus, but that is everything." That makes so much sense to me, yet many times we look for church to provide so many other things. At the heart of it all is Jesus. He is the son of God and the reason for our being here on earth.
Leonard continued on by speaking about how the church is still stuck in the 1950's, or the good ol' days. We are in the year 2009 and the church needs to catch up or the church will cease to exist. I know my students here at Grace are very technological and enjoy using tech stuff to accomplish tasks. The counter to that is I know that God's Word is amazing and it doesn't need flash and dash to teach the truth. There is a fine line between just using technology to get attention and using it effectively to preach the Gospel of Christ to our world.
The conference reinforced to me that the Bible has got to be our preaching tool and that the scriptures are the living word of God and all we need to do is present it. Our God will do the work in the heart's of those that listen.

1 comment:

Dianna said...

Amen! How very true and powerful the word of God! We are so blessed that He cared enough to give us His word. Bless you for sharing this with the kids.