Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Can a Rock be hungry?

Yesterday I had the chance to spend hiking around Starved Rock. I never knew why it was called that, but I learned yesterday. Interesting. Starved Rock State Park derives its name from a Native American legend of injustice and retribution. In the 1760s, Pontiac, chief of the Ottawa tribe upriver from here, was slain by an Illiniwek while attending a tribal council in southern Illinois. According to the legend, during one of the battles that subsequently occurred to avenge his killing, a band of Illiniwek, under attack by a band of Potawatomi (allies of the Ottawa), sought refuge atop a 125-foot sandstone butte. The Ottawa and Potawatomi surrounded the bluff and held their ground until the hapless Illiniwek died of starvation- giving rise to the name “Starved Rock.” See, I told you it was interesting.
What is truly amazing about being in a place like that is the natural beauty. Our God is so incredible. Being around His creation is inspiring and makes me continue to wonder why he chooses to love us like he does. He loved us all so much that he sent His Son to die on the cross for us! There is no greater love than that. As you see our earth's natural beauty, thank God for it, and thank Him for loving you too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you sermon was awesome on sunday. I am trying to use the power of prayer on a certain person. Trying to be nice...she shunned me. I will continue to pray for her....


judy g

dianna said...

So true. Every day God reveals His glory when we look outside to see His awesome creation.
Dianna